KEEP THE COLD AWAY BY USING A NETI POT
In ayurveda and also yoga, breath is essential. The quality of your breath is vital to your good health. Your well-being can be increased by making every breath long and deep. Keeping your nostrils clean and protected is one step closer to a good breath and therefore to a good health. Nasal rinsing or neti, is a process in which you clean and protect your nasal passages with a neti pot and a saline solution.
But nasal rinsing not only keeps your nostril passage in good shape it also protects you from the flu and can help you to clean out different allergens. By cleansing your nostril the mucus in your nose resulting from allergies or a cold gets cleansed out and won’t find it’s way into the body and your body and mind stays fresh and clean.
Not yet convinced? Here are some of the great benefits:
- It promotes overall nasal and sinus health
- It protects the nasal passages from dryness
- It helps to maintain a healthy mucus lining
- It helps to remove excess mucus and flushing out dirt, dust and pollen
- It supports clean, fresh-smelling breath
- It maintains a clear feeling in your head and it refreshens your mind
Think you might be ready to give it a try? Then let’s do it:
1. Prepare the salin solution (Salt Water)
Start by boiling 1 cup of water. Once the water boils, mix it with 1/4 teaspoon of fine non-iodized table salt and let it fully dissolve. Put your water/salt mix to the side and wait for it to cool off. Once your salin solution is ready to use, pour it into your neti pot or nasal rinsing pot.
2. Lets get started
- Take your neti pot with the salin solution and stand in front of a sink.
- Tilt you head to one side, so that your ear is facing the sink. Your forehead is angling slightly downwards.
- Insert the tip of your neti pot into the upper nostril, open your mouth and breath through your mouth during the entire process.
- Raise your neti pot slowly in order to create a nice, steady and gentle waterflow into your nostril. The salin solution will flow through one nostril and comes out the other one.
- As soon as you have completed one side, exhale gently through your nose several times and use a tissue to clear the nasal passages.
- Once you have cleared the nasal passages repeat the same procedure on the other side.
3. Finishing off
It is recommended to do some simple and gentle exhalation through both of your nostrils after you have finished your nasal rinsing. After using your neti pot, simply clean it with warm water and some dish soap and you are ready to take some fresh and clean air through your nose.
What else do you need to know?
You can do this process any time during the day, once or twice. For example in the morning and in the evening. I prefer to do it every morning as a part of my morning routine. Like that I have a fresh and clean start into a new day.
A neti pot can be bought at any pharmacy or health store. There are different shapes, looks and materials. Just have a look and go with the one you think may be the most comfortable to you. My neti pot is made from ceramic as I am not really a supporter of plastic usage.